Would you like to be part of the fascinating, ever-changing, world-renowned Bowers Museum?
You could be on the cutting edge of the museum world as a member of the Bowers Docent Guild.
We’d like to have you join us if:
- You love to learn about history and other cultures
- You like to interact with people
- You want to serve the community
- you appreciate working with highly motivated, friendly, intelligent colleagues
- You enjoy presenting ideas with humor, freshness and creativity
Many of our docents retired from long-held jobs and wanted a new focus. Others were new to Orange County and sought a place to belong. Some always wanted to work in a museum while others stumbled upon the Bowers by chance.
Becoming a docent offers many opportunities:
- Lead scheduled tours and walk-in visitors through Museum exhibits
- Introduce children to cultural artifacts that bring school curriculum to life
- Present programs to senior citizen groups
- Talk to civic groups about Museum exhibits
- Take programs to schools
- Prepare educational materials for other docents
- Work backstage to promote Docent Guild activities—keep statistics, host receptions, staff the docent library
Bowers docents are carefully trained for their role as Museum representatives.
All provisional docents must complete a comprehensive training program so that they can
- Understand the artifacts displayed at the Bowers Museum
- Relate each artifact to the culture it portrays
- Use tour construction basics and interactive techniques to create their own tours